Wednesday, November 8, 2023

Falling for autumn

 I am still astonished that I can pick up my phone and with a few taps, begin to read something written moments ago by someone on the opposite side of the globe.  The nature of social media means that one can stand in a circle  with others who are happily chatting and just nod and smile without saying a word though. In fact, they will not even realize you are there as a tiny but happy fly on the wall. Now, there is nary a thing wrong with observing and absorbing  kindness and creativity found in others but in the absence of knowing looks and warm hand clasps I’m resolving to speak up now and then with a ‘thank you’ and a ‘well done.’ 

Some time ago I came upon a blog called Small Treasures, written by a gentle and warm hearted woman in England. There was a pause in her posting but she is back now and creating a daily post, working her way through the alphabet. What a marvellous idea!! 

I was instantly seized with a desire to do likewise! Thank you Pensive Pensioner for the inspiration! 

This blog post is brought to you by the letter A. 

The first thing I think of when presented with a letter A is autumn. I tend to think of these misty, musty days as autumn and not fall as many do. When I consulted the Wise Man of the Mountain (google) about the seasonal alias, autumn AKA fall, I was informed that autumn is British whereas fall is more commonly used in North America.  And if you go back through the mists of time, no pun intended, you find a connection to the French word autompne and the Latin word autumnus. There is apparently a connotation to the passing of the year.

Well that’s good to know I guess. Autumn or fall; bring on the sweaters. 

(Now there’s another word worth pondering. Sweat-er? Sweating for sure? Apparently the original sweaters were for competitive boaters and were meant to bring on sweating and weight loss. Google seems to have an explanation for everything.



No comments:

Post a Comment