Saturday, November 11, 2023

Diamond dear

In 1977, beside a lake as blue as the sky, with leaves twirling down like confetti, my smiling boyfriend placed a diamond ring on my finger.  In the spring of 1978 a glittering wedding band was added and neither ring has ever left my hand. They have felt like constant friends. 

The other night as I sat reading in bed, my rings caught my eye and I duly admired them, turning my hand to catch the light.  Lovely.  It occurred to me that I should take them to a jeweller and have the claws checked. How sad it would be to lose a stone.  

The next evening as I sat in the same spot with the same book my subconscious self who is apparently scanning and noticing, jolted me out of my reading trance. I had a feeling of trepidation as I raised my left hand and slowly turned it over. 

Gone. 

Six tiny golden claws gripping absolutely nothing. 

My husband was as stricken as I. 

Isn’t losing something dear a jolt?

“It’ll be alright,” I said, “At least I still have you”

No comments:

Post a Comment