Monday, May 18, 2020

oh no

We were heading out to walk in a nearby field while a cat was apparently heading back.
A big orange cat.
Its step was brisk.
Its head high.
In its mouth it held....?
Was it a fat mouse for dinner?
My husband said he thought for a moment that the cat was carrying a kitten, but realized with horror that it had a grip on something, a death grip.
We both exclaimed at the same time.
"Oh no!"
"How sad!"
"Oh no, not a baby bunny!"
Dinner in for the cat.
Tragedy for the bunny.

It seemed especially sad because just the day before, while weeding in the yard, my husband suddenly appeared beside me. "Come quick," he had whispered.
"Why?" I said skeptically.
"Just come," he added, his voice urgent.
"What is it," I asked suspiciously, hesitantly following.
And oh my, there in a tiny little space was a tiny little rabbit.
Oh it was the tiniest little bunny I had ever seen.
It would have fit so nicely on the palm of my hand.
We summoned the grandchildren who each crept as close as could be and peered down into the brown eyes.
They raced off and returned with snippets of carrot.
The baby made a tiny hop under a fern and we were parents crowing over a babies first step.
So sweet and tiny.
Soft and wild.
Be careful little one.
Stay under our hydrangea and keep in the shadow of the fern.   

No comments:

Post a Comment