Sunday, April 19, 2020

like her sister







A small backpack for my small granddaughter.
She wanted one like her big sister's.
She showed it to me on Facetime so I would see what to sew.
She gave me permission to use any colors (but she wanted it to look like her sisters), and have pockets on the front (like her sister's) and a drawstring at the top under the flap and buttons (same reason). She especially wanted to be sure I added buttons (like her sister had) on the heart ( she gave me a nice close-up of that) but a butterfly was optional (in case that was too hard).
I thought about front pockets in bed that night as I tried to fall asleep. I cut them out in my imagination several times and sewed them together just as many times and ways too.
In the morning I snipped and sewed.
Amazingly, with a kind of muscle memory, I cut and sewed little pouches using the same darts I had used sewing face masks last week. Now when does that happen I ask? A sort of sewers transferable skill.
I used wooden buttons. (see above brackets for reason)
And a butterfly was absolutely NOT too hard. I had a little scrap of fabric with blue butterflies fluttering all over it. I had half a dozen to choose from.
It will be love she can carry around with her.

No comments:

Post a Comment