Sunday, December 17, 2023

Say cheese

When my daughters were very young, four and one, my mother-in-law spontaneously wished to have their picture taken at the mall with Santa  

I can’t think why she wanted a perfect stranger in a photo with her little granddaughters but I guess she was just overcome by the sheer joy of the season.

I don’t remember if we had to wait in a line, only that I felt vaguely foolish. 

My four year old was a friendly little sprite and sat on Santa’s knee without a backward glance. If I was near and  felt no fear, then neither did she.  Any friend of mine was a friend of hers. 

My one year old of course, felt completely the opposite about the situation, such are the vagaries of sibling personality. She wasn’t influenced at all by her nonchalant sister perched on Santa’s knee. Instead she screamed in terror. And kept on screaming as the picture was snapped. 

Baby looking traumatized. Big sister looking concerned.  Santa looking tired. 

Say cheese.  

No comments:

Post a Comment