Friday, May 27, 2011

throwing down the gauntlet

Another guild challenge.
Challenges always come with restrictions.
Certain colors or patterns must be employed.
Rather than restricting, they tend to narrow the focus and actually make it easier to select an idea out of the swirling, numberless directions quilting can go.
This time I was the one who threw down the gauntlet.
"Make it small," I urged.
"And botanical, oh, and no pattern. It must be original."
I was greeted by blank stares of disbelief and the odd muttered oath.
As the calendar days flipped by, my own challenge remained unstarted.
True to form, as time picked up speed heading into the home stretch, I knuckled down and made a small, botanical quilt with out the aid of a pattern.
It was very freeing.

2 comments:

  1. so, have you ever thought of making a quilt of all your challenge pieces? I bet it would be an interesting one! This one is beautiful by the way, I like the colours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness! You're starting to think like a quilter. That's always the first step.

    ReplyDelete