Monday, May 16, 2011

time and eternity

I love rocks. Almost all of my jackets pockets have a small stone nestled in their dark depth. I love to feel the smooth cool comfort of them.
Rocks have been sorted into antique canning jars that line my kitchen window.
There is a jar of agates; golden translucent nuggets.
And a jar of wafer thin stones; round skippers from the Oregon coast. I gathered them as they flipped over and over, following the retreating waves like hopping frogs.
Another jar holds small stones of such surprising color; warm plummy purple, avocado green, sienna.
There is a wooden bowl of stones in my dining room; amethyst, crystal, fossil and petrified wood.
Striped stones and heart shaped rocks spill out of the edge of a flower bed and I even have a  small slab of slate from my parents old home in Birch Island; A piece of the "rock."
If I were to travel the world, pebbles and stones would be my souvenir of choice.
They represent both constancy and change, time and eternity. And mystery.

Romans 9:33 As it is written: "Behold, I lay in Zion a stone that causes men to stumble and a rock of offense, and the one who trusts in Him will never be put to shame."

2 comments:

  1. I like rocks too!! I love knowing that about you - very cool :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, thank you. It is a wonderful thing to discover passions shared isn't it.

    ReplyDelete