Tuesday, May 28, 2013

kissing cousin

I've always had a thing for gingham. I like to think of it as the kissing cousin of plaid. It manages to evoke a similar nostalgia and homey vibe.
Someday I want to make a quilt using all of the sizes gingham comes in, eighth inch through one inch and all of the colors that I can lay my hands on.
I think the very first quilt I ever made in my life was gingham amazingly enough.
It was a baby quilt, a shower gift, and was made using five or six colors of gingham in three or four sizes. I didn't have batting, so I substituted a thin baby blanket. I don't remember how it was quilted or bound anymore but I was pretty happy with it when it was finished.
That quilt lived a long and useful life, and was literally used up, and worn out. It seemed a fitting tribute to the homey gingham gift with its up-cycled interior.
Use it up
Wear it out
Make do or
Do without.

No comments:

Post a Comment