Monday, January 9, 2012

upper hand

I had an early shift today and so I hurtled off into the cold dark of morning. I must have pulled the short straw because I found myself behind the wheel of the truck.
In the light of day, the truck and I have formed an uneasy alliance, but in the dim light of dawn, the truck has the upper hand. I found myself adjusting dials and switches as though by braille, never completely sure in this unfamiliar territory.
A strange radio, of course, is the worst of all. No preset stations to entertain and comfort. I found myself stabbing at the scan and seek buttons while listening forlornly to a garble of assorted music and news. I eventually gave up much to the trucks delight and I listened to Madonna and Micheal Jackson as the last few miles of my commute flew by. I don't think I have ever really listened to the lyrics of Super Natural before, or Vogue for that matter. "If you can't beat 'em, join 'em."

1 comment:

  1. You have such a way with words! I always feel strange when driving an unfamiliar vehicle.

    ReplyDelete