Monday, January 2, 2012

surrounded and upheld

We sat in church New Years morning.
It was a moment of calm.
Perhaps more calm than we have grown accustomed to this fall and winter.
I leaned over, nudging my husbands shoulder.
His eyes slid sideways.
"I was just checking to see if you were still breathing," I whispered.
His smile was wan.
"There was no detectable brain activity," I added.
His eyes twinkled briefly.
My husband just keeps putting one foot in front of the other.
He has reached the end of his rope so often that he must be accustomed to the feeling of dangling over the edge.
We will reach a vantage point, some distant bend in the road from whence we will glance back and see the walls scaled.
It could not have been done alone.
We have been surrounded and upheld.

No comments:

Post a Comment