Tuesday, February 8, 2011

unfamiliar territory

Ebay was once a foreign concept to me; 
Bidding unfamiliar territory.
I approached with caution.
I began by searching for vintage dolls.
Then I browsed through nativity sets.
I trolled through books by author.
I admired antique quilts.
Boldly patterned fabric swatches beckoned.

It seemed that anything the heart could long for was there waiting in the wings.
I set up an account and into this bewildering delight I wandered, paypal in hand.
Kaffe Fassett fabric proved to be an irresistible temptation.
A bundle of four inch squares were being offered at an astonishingly low price.
I bid.
I waited.
I won.
I gasped.
What had I been thinking?
These were not colours I usually bought. The scale of the print, the color combinations, it became a leap in the dark.
A little package soon arrived at my door.
There are a lot of ways to sew 81 squares together.
I settled on a simple nine patch and grouped the assorted prints by color. I was surprised by how much I liked the finished quilt. I discovered a love of color and pattern that I had not previously acknowledged. Unfamiliar territory suddenly felt very comfortable.




No comments:

Post a Comment