Tuesday, May 27, 2014

it is




There's something about a finished quilt, no matter the size that makes you want to grab your camera. "Stand here," you say to your quilt, "say cheese, oh stand here now, and here."
My charm pack project is having a photogenic moment. I love the colors together and I'm glad I made a runner. It'll be used all the time and I like that. The binding is a teeny, tiny red gingham that almost reads as pink. Who knew red could be a neutral. I like the backing fabric too. It had one toe out the door when I sorted my stash but I'm so glad I saved it now. The only shadow over my complete happiness is the quilting. Wavy lines seemed so inspired, a contrast to all of the straight stitching, but I wish now that I had done something else. But since I don't know for sure what that nebulous, perfect quilting idea would have been, I will smile and nod and imagine that this is exactly what the quilt wanted.
Maybe it is.
It is.

6 comments:

  1. There's something about anything painstakingly made that warrants a photo op. I made a stuffed lion once with the intention of giving it as a gift to a nephew, but I'm ashamed to say I just could not part with it. It's my one and only attempt at making such a thing and I felt I needed it more than he did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the way, your quilted runner is beautiful....I neglected to tell you in my last comment. It really is quite lovely with the dishes, and I agree that the pastel colors are spectacular. Your walls must be gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I think you should dare to attempt it. At the very least the daily writing exercise will pay off for you. For one thing, you'll get to hear from me every day! ☺

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can empathize with your lion story. I got attached to a baby quilt once....
    Thanks for the encouraging words!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I rarely wear jewelry anymore, but I can see where making something from your own collection of buttons would change my attitude about it. It would be a way to express my artistic ability and put it on display at the same time. Afterall, writers can't thrust their creations into people's hands and expect them to stand there and read it. I noted this once at a children's writer/illustrator's conference I was attending. They, the illustrators, had their books set out on the table for people to view. I realized no one had the time to stand there and read the books by writers while you can just flip through a picture book. We writers just have to be content with people finding our work and taking the time to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I seldom wear jewelry either but I do love the idea of it. And I really like unusual things, especially chunky things like Wilma Flintstone wore. I prefer handcrafted for sure. Yes, it is fun to make a statement…’I hand craft’ So true about writing. It is partly why I began to add pictures to my blog. My daughter reminded me that people are visual and that is very true. I do love to just write though. The world is jammed to the rafters with creative people doing what they do aplenty but there is always room for more thank goodness.

    ReplyDelete