Saturday, January 5, 2013

dear familiar face

My sister once wore the crown of only child and only grandchild. How fortunate that great grandmother Minerva was visiting from afar while little Cheryl was such royalty. It made a four generation photo possible.
I never knew my great grandmother Minerva, and I have no memory of my mother looking so sweetly young, nor of my sister as a baby but my grandmother looks delightfully familiar to me.
My eye goes instantly to her as I gaze at the foursome. She smiles warmly at the camera and I can almost feel that summer sun on my face too. 
It seems strange to me that I am now a grandmother myself;
That I could sit in the center, flanked on either side by my aged mother and my sweetly young daughter with her daughters on her knee;
That some generation hence, I will be a face, that dear familiar face.

No comments:

Post a Comment