Wednesday, June 23, 2010

thank you Big Bird

I'm not always an organized person and menopause hasn't helped.
A place for everything, and everything in it's place is a wonderful motto
but I can't remember where the place is right now.

The best advise I've ever gotten was from Big Bird on Sesame Street. When you need to remember something, he suggested, "just walk backwards through your day." I can't count the number of times that's saved the day.
I think being more mindful and in the moment rather than running on auto pilot would help too.
I'm sure my elementary teachers would stand in unison and applaud if they could see me write one hundred times, I will pay attention.

"Now where did I put that number," I muttered. I'd just been handed a bidder's number and had promptly dropped it into The Black Hole; my purse.
"I turned fifty and my eyes and my memory both went," I complained to the clerk.
"Oh, stop, you're scaring me," she moaned, " I'm almost fifty."
"Well, start sweating," I warned. "Oh never mind," I added, "You'll be doing that anyway."
There's no way around aging. It's like whizzing down a slide. We can't change our mind part way down. Gravity will carry us to the inevitable landing. There may be some screaming and we may hold our breath, but we'll feel the wind in our hair and we'll get our feet under us just in time.

No comments:

Post a Comment